This guide will walk you through two different ways to access IPTV services on Kodi.
What is IPTV?
IPTV is a technology for streaming digital television services over the Internet. Instead of watching content through a standard television service, you can use IPTV, which uses your Internet connection.
IPTV offers much more flexibility than traditional cable and satellite airwaves. IPTV does not require a cable line or satellite set-top box. Instead of watching IPTV by entering a URL or launching an application on a smart device connected to the Internet, you can also watch it by simply entering a URL. IPTV also enables two-way interactivity, which means users have more control over their experience and can customize it.
Like cable television, IPTV offers a wide range of channels. An IPTV service typically includes all kinds of channels, such as music, sports and entertainment. However, the channels offered vary from one provider to another.
Is watching IPTV on Kodi legal?
Wouldn’t it be great to be able to watch live TV channels without having to pay for cable or an antenna? But can you watch IPTV legally on Kodi? It depends on the method you use.
If you use the official Kodi PVR IPTV Simple Client to watch IPTV, you won’t have any problems. However, if you use a freely available M3U playlist to watch content in the official Kodi IPTV add-on, it may be considered illegal.
The second method looks for third-party Kodi add-ons that provide access to IPTV. If you use one of these add-ons, it is very likely that you will break the law at some point, even if you are not aware of it. It is impossible to know whether each IPTV service is licensed to show all the channels it offers.
We do not verify the legality of any third-party IPTV service, IPTV playlist or Kodi add-on. Use of these services is at your own risk. However, I strongly recommend that you connect to a VPN to protect your privacy and security while using any third-party service.
How to watch IPTV on Kodi with PVR IPTV Simple Client
To stream IPTV channels, we will first use Kodi’s PVR add-on to install the Simple Client. Next, we will configure it and see how to stream live TV channels. Finally, I will mention some sources of M3U playlists.
Part 1: Install the PVR IPTV Simple Client
With the PVR IPTV Simple Client PVR add-on you can set up IPTV on your device. So let’s install the plug-in.
- We will open the Kodi application.
- Click on the Settings gear located in the top left corner of the screen, just below the Kodi logo.
- On the next page, select the Add-ons option to continue.
- Click Install from repository.
- “All repositories”.
- On the next screen, browse and select PVR Clients .
- When we are inside the PVR Clients menu, we will select PVR IPTV Simple Client .
- 8. The Install button will appear in the plug-in control panel.
- 9. Accept everything you need to install the plug-in.
- 10. It will start downloading to your Kodi.
- 11. We will wait a few seconds as it will be installing and at the top right corner it will appear that it has been installed.
Part 2: Add a M3U playlist to PVR IPTV Simple Client
Congratulations! You have successfully installed PVR IPTV Simple Client on your Kodi application. But it won’t do you any good if you don’t configure it correctly. Follow the steps below to add a playlist to the IPTV streaming add-on:
- On the same screen, select PVR IPTV Simple Client.
- Select “Configure” –> General
- Within this tab select “M3U Playlist URL”.
- When the window appears, you can enter your own or your cable provider’s M3U playlist. If not, enter https://iptv-org.github.io/iptv/index.m3u and click OK .
- Click OK
- Restart your Kodi application and the PVR IPTV Simple Client will open directly.
- The PVR add-on will start loading the channels from the M3U playlist you entered. Wait for it to finish importing these channels.
How to watch IPTV with PVR IPTV Simple Client
- Once the channels have been added, scroll to the TV tab in Kodi.
- Scroll to the right and click on the Channels option.
- You will see the list of channels currently available in your M3U playlists.
- Click on any channel and after a few seconds, the video will start playing.
To access a list of all channels, scroll down to the row labeled TV Channel Groups . Here you can click on a category name to retrieve all available channels in that particular category. The All Channels tile is another way to access this list.
The Movies tab lists movie-related channels, including movie news. The Auto tab lists all channels related to motor racing, including racing news. Scroll right in the row of TV channel groups and you will see News , Music , Local , General and Entertainment .
To search for specific channels, scroll up on the right side of the screen and select the Search option on the far right of the top row. Type in what you want to search for and click Search. Be sure to read the instructions and verify the settings to get the most out of this tool.